Trash Collection and Recycling
Trash Collection and Recycling Services are performed by Unity Disposal & Recycling, (301) 490-8604 or 1-888-738-6489.
Trash Collection Every Monday and Thursday except holidays
Holidays to be observed are New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If the holiday falls on a regular collection day, the collection shall take place on the following weekday that is not a holiday.
Recyclables Every Wednesday
Yard Waste Every Wednesday between 1 April through 31 January
All Items must be placed curbside by 7:00 AM on the above days.
All trash and recyclables are to be collected before noon. If a holiday falls on a regular collection day, the collection shall take place on the following weekday that is not a holiday. Trash cans and recycling totes are to be placed upright and not obstruct the sidewalk or driveway. A clear explanatory notice is to be left with material which is not collected. Town Hall should be notified in the event the preceding does not occur.
Each address is allowed one free Bulky Waste Collection (i.e., beds and box springs, bicycles, furniture, rugs, and TVs) per quarter; however, you must call at least five (5) business days in advance.
For Special Collections (i.e., major/large appliances, building/construction materials (call for special price quote) and fixtures, furnaces, hot water heaters, metal fencing, swing set, basketball hoop, you must call at least five (5) business days in advance and there is a $20.00 fee for each item.
Residential Paper includes:
- Cardboard/Boxboard, Catalogs, Corrugated paper
- Junk Mail, Kraft Bags/Paper Magazines
- Office/Computer Paper, Paper from Home Based Businesses
- Telephone Directories
- More Info
The following is not accepted:
- Carbon Paper, Gift Wrap, Hard Bound Books
- Napkins, Paper Towels, Tissues
- Wax Coated Paper/Boxes Paper/Cardboard contaminated with
- (i.e., Pizza Boxes, Juice/Milk Containers) Chemicals, Kitty Litter, Raw Meat/Fish or Paint
Items in this category require a special pickup
- Air Conditioning Units (Drained of Refrigerant), Clothes Washers, Clothes Dryers
- Dehumidifiers/Humidifiers, Furnaces, Hot Water Heaters
- Kitchen Stoves, Metal Cabinets, Metal Doors
- Metal Fencing, Metal Shower Stalls, Metal Storage Sheds
- Metal Swing Sets, Refrigerators, Trash Compactors
Yard Waste includes anything that grows naturally
or falls from a tree and should be either:
Placed in either kraft paper bags or reusable containers not exceeding 45 pounds/32 gallons, or Brush, shrub or tree trimming (branches less than 4 inches in diameter) bundled in twine, bundles should not be longer than 4 feet and 30 inches in diameter.
Christmas Trees will be picked up in January on regular
No rocks, dirt/sod, root balls/tree stumps or lumber
County Beautification Center
For those who have a need for more than one Special Pickup and can transport the item, the Beautification Center located at the county’s Jerusalem Road Highway Services Depot
(240) 777-7623) accepts:
- Residential Loads up to 499 pounds
- Bicycles Building Materials Furniture Lawnmowers
- Motor Oil/Antifreeze
- Hours of Operation, except holidays, are:
- Saturdays 7:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Sundays 7:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Don’t Throw It Out, Donate It
If an item can possibly be reused, donate it and take the tax deduction. The Friendly Thrift Shop at 17617 West Willard Road, will accept clothing and small appliances and the Hands of Love Mission, will accept bicycles, large appliances, office and home furniture and toys, please Mr. Mark Warner (301) 349-2199 or Mr. Dale Nestor (301) 349-5450 for further details. Other charities like the Salvation Army, Military Order of the Purple Heart, Value Village, etc. will take various items from clothes and furniture to automobiles and trucks. Their numbers are in the telephone book; and they will even come to your home to pick up the items.
Additionally, the Montgomery County Transfer Station (16101 Frederick Rd, Rt 355 and Shady Grove Rd.) will accept recyclable items, such as:
- Unused/Used Building Materials in usable condition
- Cabinets, Doors, Cinderblock, Flooring, Lights, Lumber, Plumbing Fixtures, Sinks, Toilets, Tubs, Windows, etc.
- Clothing and Textiles
- Belts, Clothes, Drapes, Handbags, Sheets, Shoes, Towels, and Material Larger than 15" x 15". All items must be clean and dry.
- Large Appliances
- Same items as listed under Residential Scrap Metal
Hours of Operation, except holidays:
- Monday – Friday 7:30 AM – 8:00 PM
- Saturday 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Sunday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
For a list of organizations that will pick up reusable furniture in good condition, such as:
Beds, Box Springs and Mattresses, Chairs, Sofas and Tables click here
Household Hazardous Waste
The county schedules dates, at various locations through out the county for the dropping off of Household Hazardous Wastes, which are advertised in the local newspapers. Household Hazardous Wastes such as:
- Batteries: (Button and Rechargeable) (Photographic and Pool)
- Chemicals, Fertilizers, Fluorescent Bulbs, Fuels, Oil Based Paints (Limit 12)
- Paint Thinners /Solvents Pesticides